Skip Navigation
City of Omaha - Nebraska

City of Omaha Public WorksOmaha, Nebraska

Text Size   - | +

What is the difference between a Construction Permit, an Operating Permit, and an Administrative Permit?

A Construction Permit is necessary before constructing any new source or modifying an existing source if that construction will increase emissions by certain levels (see Construction Permit page for specific thresholds). 

An Operating Permit must be obtained within 12 months of startup of a source meeting specific emissions levels.  The Operating Permit contains all relevant regulations pertaining to this source, including all Construction Permit requirements. 

An Administrative Permit is issued to sources that do not meet emissions levels as specified under the Operating Permit levels, but that may require a permit to ensure compliance with Chapter 41 of the Omaha Municipal Code, especially 41-2 Chapter 32 Dust and 41-58 Odors.

How do I know if I need to apply for a permit?

Air Construction Permits are based on a source’s potential-to-emit (PTE). 

PTE is calculated based on the emissions your source would have if it were running at maximum capacity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  If your PTE is over certain levels (see Construction Permit page), you must obtain a Construction Permit before you begin construction.

Air Operating Permits are based on both PTE and actual emissions.  If your facility’s PTE is over the Title V levels for any pollutant (see Operating Permit page for specific thresholds)you must obtain a Class I Operating permit or take limits on production and/or materials used to reduce emissions and obtain a Synthetic Minor permit. 

If your facility’s PTE is below those levels but your actual emissions are above thresholds set by the OMC (see Operating Permit page for specific levels), then you must obtain a Class II True Minor permit.

OAQC notifies those facilities that it identifies as needing to obtain an Administrative Permit due to dust or odor concerns.  If you feel your facility may need an Administrative Permit, please contact OAQC at 402-444-6015.

How do I determine my facility’s potential-to-emit (PTE)?

A source’s PTE is determined by calculating the emissions from all “emissions units” (all equipment or processes that have the potential to emit any regulated air pollutant) running at maximum capacity 24 hours a day for 365 days (or 8760 hours). 

Emission factors for most equipment and many processes are available from the EPA’s AP-42, Compilation of Air Pollutant Emission Factors, or the EPA’s Factor Information Retrieval System (WebFIRE). Some processes need to be evaluated using mass balance to address the characteristics of the material used in the process.  These and other resources can be found at